Monday 8 February 2016

The year of the Monkey

Gong Xi Fa Chai!
It's been Chinese New Year this weekend, and for us that meant we were getting a visitor! The UAE didn't have any extra days off this weekend, but in Brunei they had a long weekend off to celebrate, so Beenal had booked to come up and stay. Yay!
She was only here four days, so first things first - we went to IKEA and Yas Mall to do the shopping for all the things she had on her list to bring back!



Here in the UAE, celebrating other religions and cultures is very much welcome, and Yas Mall had pulled out all the stops this weekend to decorate for CNY. It was red, red, red, already from the outside, throughout the main entrance and in the big square of course.


 It's the Year of the Monkey.


We were so lucky to happen to be there when they did a Lion Dance performance! I got goose bumps, I've always loved the Lion Dancing; and it's something I really have been missing from Brunei (where the CNY celebrations used to be really big). This crew was very good, balancing on poles and interacting with the crowd. It made me feel really warm and fuzzy, so happy I got to see it this year!






I also got Beenal down the slide inside the Virgin Megastore, ha ha! She didn't believe me when I said anyone could go on it - but when we had done our purchases we had a go! :) Weee-eeeee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment